Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010

Got up this a.m. and Linda, Becky, Mom, and Dad came and got me and the kids. Donna and Nathan stayed with Colleen. We met Krystal and then went to the arch, but on the way, stopped at Gus's Pretzel's. Apparently, Kevin's friend's father started this pretzel business and now he owns it (the friend, not Kevin! LOL). Anyway, I guess they are famous in the St. Louis area. So, we stopped there and got some amazing pretzels, still warm. Regular and cinnamon. The boys did not seem to care much but when they tasted them, they loved them, especially the cinnamon. I know I have gotten them pretzels before (Auntie Annies) but they don't remember them, it's been a LONG time.

so, then we went over to the arch. Linda had brought her camera for me to use, so I took some pictures with it. We were not able to go up in it because the line was too long. That was disappointing, but gives us one more reason to come back (like we need a reason). The boys and I walked around in the museum until it was time to go...we had all split up and it took awhile to find everyone, but we headed back to get ready for the wake.

All I can say about the wake is OH! MY! GOSH! I was AMAZED at the turnout. I think it is safe to say that the Montgomery's are loved! From 3:15 p.m. until 9 p.m. there was a solid line of people at the funeral home. The line was out of the very long room, down the hall, around the corner, and would have gone out of the building except that the staff opened up the chapel and had people wait in there just to stand in the line. I know it was a sad occasion but that HAD to give SOME comfort to them. There was not a lack of love in that room. If there is any comfort to be found....

I did get to see Uncle Tony and Aunt Eileen, Tommy Newman (saw last at Bill's funeral), Dylan that grew up with Mike and Colleen, had not seen him in decades, saw Chris - Becky and Krystal's mom, saw Mike's kids and their Mom (like I said yesterday). Tina and Drake and their kids. Recognized some of Kevin's college friends (could not tell you their names).

I introduced my kids to everyone I knew there...tried to let Travis know who people were and how related, but there was too much to keep straight.

After it was over, we followed Tina and Drake back to their house and sayed with them. Another very cute house. Draked picked up some fried chicken and we ate and went to bed shortly thereafter as we had to get up very early to get back to the funeral home in the a.m. Wish Tina and I had more time together.



No comments:

Post a Comment